During its annual conference held virtually last week, the premium brand of Certified Angus Beef beef recognized leading retailers for the quality, marketing and sales of their products, with Massachusetts grocery chain DeMoulas Market Basket taking home the award. honor of Retailer of the Year.
“Market Basket offered the beef in weekly flyers, on social media and on the website,” Certified Angus Beef said in announcing the award. “A summer promotion, TV commercial and easy meal solutions helped the retailer also receive the Top Retail Average Volume Per Store award for more than 10 stores. “
As more shoppers prepared meals at home this year, retailers offering certified Angus cuts of beef engaged shoppers with social conversations, weekly product features, time-saving meals , in-store promotions and online engagement opportunities.
“Our retailers want customers to know they have the best beef,” said David O’Diam, vice president of retail for Certified Angus Beef. “Social media and weekly ads draw shoppers to the meat case, deli or online store and this is where these retailers excel at delivering the right cuts and new meal ideas. “
Other winners of the Certified Angus Beef event include:
- ShopRite, Edison, NJ, won the Retail Brand Extension Marketer of the Year award. In its 25th year of providing the best beef in the store, ShopRite has increased promotions and customer interest in Certified Angus beef First. The cuts of beef are featured in weekly advertisements and on social media.
- Giant eagle, Pittsburgh, was named Retail Value Added Distributor of the Year. Giant Eagle added easy meal options for customers, showcasing the items in ads and dedicating a cooler to sausages, frankfurters, gourmet burgers, beef bacon, marinated steaks and kebabs. The retailer also marked 30 years of offering branded beef to buyers.
- MDI Distributors / Merchants, Hickory, NC, received the Retail Distributor of the Year award. MDI has helped independent stores improve their beef offering and marketing. Staff training and food fairs have also broadened customer service and solutions.
- Longo’s, Ontario, Canada, received the Retail E-commerce Marketer of the Year award. Offering a full selection of fresh cuts, ground beef and convenient meals in-store and online has also helped Longo’s achieve the highest sales volume of small retail chains.
- Southeast grocery stores, Jacksonville, Fla., Received Retail Rising Star – Large Chain for advertising, social media and meat department training that engages shoppers at Harvey’s, Fresco Y Más and Winn-Dixie stores. Winn-Dixie also achieved the best sales volume increase, the largest of any retailer in the brand this year.
- Adams Hometown Markets, Chesire, Connecticut, has been named Retail Rising Star – Small Chain. Social media posts, weekly product promotions, and holiday roast giveaways have engaged shoppers. Staff training and a meat team competition also intensified conversations with customers and service.
- Fresh thyme market, Downers Grove, Ill., Was voted Retail Rookie of the Year for its comprehensive approach to training, personalized point-of-sale materials, Steakholder rewards and e-commerce.
- Giant foods, Enid, Okla., Was named Independent Retailer of the Year. The retailer has excelled at reaching shoppers with frequent social media posts and personalized point-of-sale material.
- Roche Brothers, Mansfield, Mass., Was recognized as Retailer of the Year – Small Chain. The Steakholder Rewards loyalty program, holiday roast promotion, and staff training amplify publicity for the brand’s Prime and Natural cuts, along with easy meal solutions. This is the 35th year that the chain has offered certified Angus beef to buyers.
- New York butcher, Greenville, SC, received the Specialty Store Marketer of the Year award. Each Southeast location offers a selection of Certified Angus beef Choice dishes and cooked dishes for customers. Social media, personalized signage, and roasting advice appeal to buyers.
In addition, these retailers and distributors have been recognized for their leadership. Certified Angus beef product sales:
- Meijer, Grand Rapids, Michigan – Large retailer with high volume sales
- DeKalb Farmers Market, Decatur, GA – One-Store Retailer with the Highest Sales Volume
- El Rancho Market, Phoenix, Arizona – Top average retail volume per store – Less than 10 stores
- Amigos Meat, Chicago – First Volume Retail Distributor
- Topco Associates, Elk Grove Village, Ill. – Cooperative of first sales volume