Monsoons bring with them many skincare concerns but there are some unspeakable and unattractive ones that you can’t even discuss with your best friend and get advice on how to get rid of them.
One of them is a fungal infection of the feet and nails. However, you can always trust dermats for all the information on how to treat even the most embarrassing skin issues.
We spoke to Dr. Sravya C Tipirneni, Consultant Dermatologist and Cosmetologist at Manipal Hospitals, Bangalore to find out why fungal infections of feet and nails monsoon increase and what can be done to deal with it.
She says: “Men are more prone to fungal infections, mainly due to prolonged wearing of closed shoes, which causes sweating, moisture retention and lack of ventilation between the toes. Also, men generally sweat a lot more than women. This grows fungus of different types especially in the spaces between each toe and causes fungal foot infections. The medical term for this is called Tinea pedis.
Here’s how to identify the skin problem in time and tips to prevent and treat it.
Signs to look for:
1. The skin is usually whitish and raw and begins to peel. This is also associated with a lot of itching and discomfort with a foul smell most of the time.
2. The condition of the nails is called onychomycosis and can form different colors. Whitish, yellowish, greenish or brownish discoloration are all indications of nail fungus. This is more stubborn and takes much longer to treat than skin fungus.
3. If the fungal infection is not identified and treated in time or early enough, the nails are also affected if the foot is subjected to the same closed conditions of moisture retention and perspiration.
How to fix
1. Wear open-toed shoes like sandals more often than shoes, sometimes skip socks, and use antifungal powder regularly in this season.
2. Clean your feet regularly and dry them well.
3. Always check toes and web spaces every other day.
4. When identified by a dermatologist, topical and oral antifungal medications should be used in a disciplined manner to get rid of them easily.
India being a tropical country already has a lot of heat and humid temperatures in most parts of the country. That is why it is very easy to get a fungal infection given the above conditions.
The solution for men to prevent all of this from happening is to be extra careful during the monsoon months and make sure they keep their feet well ventilated.